- Our scholarship program is very complex. We have scholarships for varying levels of need, varying levels of merit, and scholarships which are specific to certain majors. One thing that is certain: there is a degree of merit required for each award.
- The amount of scholarship funds awarded varies, however. Keep in mind that none of the scholarships we offer will pay for your education entirely. At best, an award can take some of the “sting” out of paying your college debt. For example, in recent years, we have gotten some great press from giving away scholarships of $25,000 and $12,500 per year. This sounds FANTASTIC, if you are attending Miami University, with a price tag of about $28,000 per year! However, for this scholarship, you must attend Wittenberg with a cost of about $50,000 per year. This scholarship is actually often turned down, because even the awardees have trouble affording the remaining tuition. Do NOT pick your first choice college based on “if I get enough scholarship money from the Middletown Community Foundation…”
- You will need to have available your ACT Student Report. (Click here:Example ACT) The testing company will send one to you simply because you took the test. A copy of THAT report is what you will upload as a PDF. Do not mail us a copy. Do not have the testing company mail a copy to us. Do not send us instructions on how to login. If it’s on your transcript, that is NOT the same thing.
- You will need to have available your Student Aid Report (SAR) that you receive BACK from FAFSA. (Click here: EXAMPLE FAFSA) The report shows your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on the front, and has all your answers recorded. We will need the complete report (all pages). You will eventually upload this as a PDF. Again, a PDF will be required. Do not send us instructions on how to login.
- You will need to have available a 7 Semester Academic Transcript. It does not have to be certified. You will need to upload a PDF of this transcript. YOU WILL NOT HAVE A SEVEN SEMESTER TRANSCRIPT BEFORE JANUARY.
- You will be uploading a high-resolution picture
- Reasons applications are rejected or not considered:
The student and parent did not sign the application and/or the accompanying releases.
Required attachments were missing.
The application or any piece of information requested was turned in after the deadline.
The DEADLINE IS FEBRUARY 15, 2017 at 11:59PM
Answers were left blank: if we are asking a question, we need to know the answer.
The student didn’t check email, and missed a “flag” or request for additional information.
8. Once you have completed the application, you will submit it via the website.
9. All complete applications will be reviewed by a committee. You may be called in for an interview during the first week of March.
10. The committee meets to review and award scholarships. You will not be notified of your status until after April 25, 2017. Notification will come via email. It is critical that you keep your email up to date!
Things to Consider When Applying for Scholarships